We are sure you have noticed by now that there is a new social networking platform that almost EVERYONE is talking about – if you haven’t noticed by now. . . it’s called Ello (kinda like Hello, but not. . . )
Some background about what this new social networking platform is about (bullet points for easy reading):
- Began in March 2014, but has only recently become popular (September 2014)
- It claims to be: Simple, beautiful & ad-free
- Is being called the Anti-Facebook
- At the moment you can only join if you are invited to join (you can request your invitation here)
- They have a manifesto, which goes like this:
- Your social network is owned by advertisers.Every post you share, every friend you make and every link you follow is tracked, recorded and converted into data. Advertisers buy your data so they can show you more ads. You are the product that’s bought and sold.We believe there is a better way. We believe in audacity. We believe in beauty, simplicity and transparency. We believe that the people who make things and the people who use them should be in partnership.We believe a social network can be a tool for empowerment. Not a tool to deceive, coerce and manipulate — but a place to connect, create and celebrate life.You are not a product.
Right, so there are the basics. Now, what we wanted to know is, how much are people actually talking about this new network online? Is there really that much hype about it? Do people actually care enough to mention it in blogs and on Twitter and Facebook, etc?
We dropped some keywords into Tracx, which were: (([Ello]) AND ([new] OR [social] OR OR [advertising] OR [ad-free] OR [no ads] OR [manifesto] OR [site] OR [networking] OR [user data] OR [marketers] OR [join] OR [what is] OR [users] OR [user])) OR [#ello] OR [Why Ello Really Matters] OR [Ello]
Here is a breakdown of what we found:
This info comes from the past 30days – so over the last month, there have been close to 200k posts about Ello, with almost 450k interactions. These stats are being pulled in from across the globe, and we were kind of expecting the numbers to be higher. The reach is only about 400k people.
Then we thought, ok, so these numbers aren’t what we were expecting, so maybe let’s do a comparison. Ello is apparently the anti-Facebook, so we dropped the keyword [Facebook] into Tracx.
This is what we found:
Well hello there (or maybe ello there :P) !!!! 4 MILLION posts, 22 MILLION interactions, REACH is 15 MILLION! Can we just say: Yowza! – we think this may speak for itself (we would also like to mention here that we input this keyword into Tracx yesterday and it is STILL pulling in data for the last 30 days – that’s how much data there is for Facebook online!)
So, what does this mean? Well, we aren’t really sure. For now we know that it means that even though people are claiming that Ello is going to take over the world and be bigger than Facebook, we are saying it hasn’t happened yet and isn’t likely to do so anytime soon.
Let us know what you think? We are keen to hear opinions on this topic.
Until next time, we salute you!